To the Birders Among Us

Here is a fascinating article about male Annas hummingbird mating dances and what photography has revealed about their behavior. I saw mating dances myself in spring 1996 in the Tohono Odum Park (named for an Indian tribe that spans the border with Mexico), a few miles from my apartment in Tucson, Arizona. But, I think the ones I saw may have been Black Throats, which were rife on the feeders I had on my balcony. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to one of Andy's $50,000 high speed cameras so I wasn't able to photograph the mating dances! Nor did I see the mating that followed the dances -- if there was even a female who was attracted by them! I did take a lot of photos of the mostly hovering hummers on my balcony.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/08/ MN6FUU96H.DTL&hw=hummingbird&sn=001&sc=1000

Roger

p.s. Here in Houston, we have a few Black Throats, but mostly Ruby Throats and never an Annas or a Rufous.