RE: Halo and blooming

:> -----Original Message-----
:> From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-
:> photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Schenken
:> Sent: 29 December 2007 15:19
:> To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
:> Subject: Re: Halo and blooming
:>
:> It seems that 'blooming' in a film camera can occur when the light
:> intensity in an area is such that the adjacent areas get some of the
:> photons that are not absorbed by the silver crystals.  For this to
:> happen in a digital camera, the individual pixel sensors would have
:> to have at least semi-transparent walls that allowed reflected light
:> to pass to adjacent sensors.  To get significant 'blooming', the
:> light intensity would have to be such that the adjacent sensors would
:> pass it on, so to speak.
:>
:> Does anyone know if the side walls on image pixel sensors are at all
:> transparent or not?
:>
:> For 'haloing' to occur in a digital camera, the software that does
:> the interpolation to fill in the missing colors and adjusts the
:> contrast could easily do this.  You get the same effect by over
:> sharpening in the image processing software.   I'm not aware of a
:> process that yields haloing in a film camera while the film is still
:> in the camera.  Help me if someone on the list does know how this might
:> happen/
[Chris:] HALOES OCCUR IF THE LENS IS misted over. I think it occurs also if
the developer is used up or the film is not agitated. Digital backs might do
it if the photodiodes rob adjacent photodiodes of electricity thus making a
dark ring round a bright area. Lens flare is another cause. This is where
light shines on the lens surface.

Blooming is (guessing) where a highlight is over exposed thus washing out
detail.
:>
:> Cheers,
:> James