Re: Oval Frame

From: "lea murphy" Re: Oval Frame

: If you're determined to bow a print to match the glass you might try a
: fiber print wetted with water and placed on the glass until it molds
: to that shape. Wouldn't take long I shouldn't think. Maybe weight it
: with a baggie of dried rice or something else fairly pliable like that.

thats exactly how the process was done.. wetted FB slowly pressed onto the glass form and weighted in place 'till it dried.

But as with any ferrotyped image, it was *very* important that the glass surface be spottlessly clean, usually accomplished by polishing the glass clean with talc powder and a chamois, and the print was often soaked in oxgall (yuck) or later a wetting agent like Agepon.  when it had dried it simply slid off the glass.

: I, too, have a frame with domes glass. The print inside is the only
: known image of my great grandmother...taken when she was about 12 or
: 13. What's amazing about it is that this was part of a family portrait
: and they 'photoshopped' the rest of the family out so they could have
: an image just of her because she died in childbirth.

A sad story, but nice that you have the photo :)

: This portrait hangs in my dining room along with portraits of all the
: women in my family. It belonged to my maternal grandmother and for as
: long as I can remember I hoped to some day have it. When my
: grandmother went into a nursing home she asked me to take the portrait
: which was of her mother, give it a home and love it. It gives me joy
: to own it.

nice