Re: About the life here 30 years ago

Tonight I heard a former US correspondent from the USSR (Dan Shorr) say that there was a joke in Moscow that went: "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work." Another that I heard in Minsk in 1964 went: "We have huge cows here. We milk them in Belarussia, while they reach across the ocean to feed on grain in Canada." During the Nasser regime in Egypt, dentists reported at an international conference that they had developed a new way to extract teeth. Since no one was allowed to talk under the oppressive regime, the simply sliced through the cheek to gain access to the offending tooth. This story supposedly went from one end of Egypt to the other within a few hours -- and there was no internet! I was told this one in Assuit in 1980. When I studied Russian in the '60s, I learned a ditty that contained the expression "Cabbage soup is my fare." A Russian colleague did not find this funny at all, when I repeated it to him. He thought I was disparaging his country, while I was just trying to show how much Russian I had learned -- not much, as that pretty much used up my vocabulary!

Roger