Re: Kodak Discontinues HIE and Other Films

On 10 Nov 2007 at 1:16, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> From: George L Smyth <glsmyth@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Kodak Discontinues HIE and Other Films
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:58:09 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Actually, I have a feeling that Kodak uses a different dye
> > to get the film to go as far into the infrared as it does,
>
> Indeed, but -
>
> > so they would probably have to use a completely different
> > formula for the emulsion.
>
> This is not necessarily true.
>
> It is possible to use a general purpose negative film emulsion
> with a range of inrared dyes. Indeed, although not optimal, it
> is possible to soak regular b&w film emulsion in IR dye
> solution and sensitize it to IR exposure. (Don't think about
> doing it to save money, because it doesn't. But after seeing
> Konica IR 750 and HIE go, I may have to look into this option
> more seriously!)
>
> On the other hand, one thing I totally do not understand is
> why none of the European IR films use better dye for fine art
> b&w photography. They may be originally made for traffic
> severance, aerial photography or similar volume users but once
> these users are gone they are free to use better dyes for our
> purposes...

The IR-dye that Kodak has been using for HIE seems to be a very tricky
substance:

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/ir_infrared-sensitive-component.txt

Btw, could an IR(only)->visible fluorescent/luminiscent (=momentarily vs
accumulating-continuous-decaying) substance be any solution, or would that
already be the essence of any IR-sensitive dye?
(hmm....a luminiscent component could be tricky, unless the decay-curve matches
the exposure(index) exactly....:))

All comments & pointers are very welcome....more than once in the past, when
browsing old books about IR&UV, I had the feeling that there might be quite
some old info buried in them, not being revealed to the modern generation of
scientists (or components/processes back then dismissed for reasons that could
be solved quite easily today).

In addition to that: I very seriously doubt that Kodak has done much elementary
research in this field over the last 5-10 years (despite the reshuffle/split of
Aerochrome IR, for 2 different grades of altitude/bluetone), as such
investments could never be justified with the decaying sales, even to the
industry.

That said, the Russians had an IR-film that had even higher IR-sensitivity, but
as one would expect, storage/shelf-life became increasingly tricky as well.
Not even sure if that same company exists today, gotta dig out my old PhotoKina
files....
(they did carry a lovely range of odd-ball (perforated) bulk-roll formats, of
which hardly anyone in the west ever heard off....gotta love military
applications....:))

PS: I have been in close contact with Mr. Schroeder from Maco on this subject,
over the years, predicting that production of HIE would be ended rather sooner
than later....and that is also where this story about IR-sensitive components,
and their shelf-life/economies-of-scale, comes from.
(and he wasn't too enthousiast about what the Russians did either, IIRC; still
not sure if they used a higher concentration of the same stuff, or a completely
different component)

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink