Re: Leaf shutters and diaphragms

HAR!

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners.
I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them long winter evenings."
 -- Philip Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart)

----- Original Message ----- From: "ADavidhazy" <andpph@xxxxxxx>

interesting! in my classes I divide by zero all the time!
then we imagine what it would feel like traveling faster
than light.

;)

Bob Blakely wrote:

Wrong. The mathematical concept exists and in a formula where the result is c = f(a) / f(b) where f(a) evaluates to 2 x infinity and f(b) evaluates to Infinity, A finite answer may be determines.

It's similar to the evaluation of sine(x) / x at x = 0. Even though the divisor is zero, the answer is not undefined. l'Hopital's Rule is applied and the and sine(0)/0 = 1.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'H%C3%B4pital's_rule