Re: Music and copyright

Even for educators, the use of copyrighted music in the classroom is restricted.  I've heard that no more than 30-seconds of published music may be used in a lesson without written permission.  Here's a link to the University of Maryland University College's AUP and copyrighted material usage.  I would imagine this stems from federal regulations.  Also, it might not just be you who gets dinged, the organization hosting your presentation could be liable too, I would think.

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, not sufficient. Whether it matters depends on the distribution
of your show and the music and your ethics.

If you get caught it can be very expensive. If you ask, at least you
know whether you can afford it!

How would you feel if someone made a slide show of your photographs
to accompany their music and you found it on YouTube?

Not good, right?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer