here it is!

Some say photography is about preserving the 'truth', some say we should
strive to maintain honesty in an image - for others it's about making
pretty pics, however you come to achieve the end result.  Manipulation has
been part and parcel of photography since the beginning and anyone using
Photoshop rather than a gross image editor will have tweaked a wrinkle or
scrubbed out a lamp post at some time or another.

In fact as we all know, choice of lens, media (colour, b&w, cross processed
etc) - even the finish of the paper can alter the way an image is received
(it looks better on matte?)

>From tabletop photographers cutting out cardboard mountains to make
silhouettes of a climbing expedition in the loungeroom to reknown
photojournalists putting an extra person in a 'documentary' scene or adding
a saw into a portrait, manipulation whether to deceive or enhance has been
with us.

Remember I mentioned the video demo of the concept of content aware seam
carving?

right..

However you perceive the concept, nightmare or delight, it's now available
as a freeware beta program! :)

the main page is here:
http://www.thegedanken.com/retarget/

the download page for linux and windows users is here:
http://www.thegedanken.com/retarget/default.asp?lnk=3

for the mac users who feel left out, maybe there's the dual boot option ;)

I've spent a few hours fiddling with it across a selection of images and
have had the MOST fun in ages.  I found using the 'delete' brush in
determining which areas be given priority to be stretched seemed more
useful on landscapes than using the 'protect' brush too.

..and don't be put off by the example image they use on the main page, even
though it is a total shocker (!)

this one is a definate keeper

(excited and happy)