RE: DPI and perception question

Thanks Bob, that totally clears it up for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Blakely
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 12:44 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: DPI and perception question

Let's say you print the entire 20x24 inches (I assumed inches here, as we
are talking about DPI - Dots Per Inch. If you meant something else, cm par
example, you would have said so, eh?)

20*300 * 24*300 = 43,200,000 dots
Assume ink (dye, wax) mixing technology.
Assume each dot is assembled from a 32 bit (4 byte color) word.
This is then 43,200,000*4 = 172,800,000 bytes = 172.8 mb.

The math changes with the technology used.

Practical resolution limit of the human eye is about 1 arcmin.

s = r * theata, so this means that the eye can resolve objects about  r *
(1/60)*(pi/180).

At one foot (12 in) then, the eye can resolve dots 12*(1/60)*(pi/180) =
0.0035" in size.
this is 286 dots per inch.

For a creamy smooth, unpixelated look, you DO NOT want to resolve the dots
(pixels), so you should have greater than 286 dots per inch. Note: the
further away you are from the image, the less DPI you need .

Am I right about this?

That took a lot out of me. I need a spiritual consultation with the Reverand

Jack Daniels.

Regards,
Bob...
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates . .
it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow."