Re: A more outrageous question

That's inspiring Mark. Having interviewed teachers and watched some in action I was growing in despair...
But I think you're right. The best of teaching is inspiration and encouragement. The worst is criticism and punishment.

In an interview with Woody Allen about directing movies he  said something like: If you have it in you, you'll intuitively know how to tell the story. Some people are natural storytellers. You'll take to making movies easily. If you don't have it in you, all the education in the world will never make you a director.

In a similar vein, A representative from a sports injury hospital, speaking about shoes said that years ago only the natural athletes tried to run marathons. They did it in canvas tennis shoes and had no problems. Now-days, people without the natural athletic ability are training themselves up to marathon level beyond the natural limits of their bodies. These people need the right kind of shoes to make up for the lack of natural structure in the ankles and feet.

I believe that each person has a level of vision in the way they see the world around them. Those with great vision will take great pictures in a short time with whatever camera they are given.
We can analyze and take apart the pictures to try to understand how that natural ability works so that people without it can use the data to try and do the stuff we admire in their pictures but in the end all we have is a cheap imitation of it.
I believe that with encouragement and inspiration we can help people take the best pictures they can without feeling guilty that they don't conform to standards set by the gatherers of data.

In time they always become curious about the technology that made it possible. At that time the teacher should be ready to give them what they ask for.

That being said, I teach a vocational course producing photographers for commerce and not necessarily for art. But everything I do is tempered by the above sentiment. Let's hope I'm not killing any spirits....

See student work at  www.herschelmair.com/students

Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Herschel  Some teachers, in fact many teachers may have that attitude.  The best ones don't.  I was lucky I had a number of them through out the school journey and its a good thing.  The best ones are not even just teaching the subject to be taught.  The best teach you how to learn.  They encourage curiosity and exploring new areas.

In the tenth grade we had a science teacher that a buddy of mine was arguing over something and we went and asked her.  Instead of telling us the answer, she said their is some in the back cabinet go find out.  Once we knew what would happen, she asked one more question.  Why?? We thought for a minute and I came up with the answer.

Not all theory is important.  Anyone know how the numbers of the various F stops are computed?  I do but does anyone really care?  Has not knowing ever effected the outcome of a single picture?  You did get me curious on what a Beyer array is and how it affect things.

Herschel Mair <herschelmair@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In order to play devil's advocate further, I propose that the predominant thing that going to school from age 5 teaches us is that we intrinsically know nothing and that in order to know "something", we need to be taught it by an authorized learning institution who are the repositories of all of man's wisdom.

Thus you can just go out and capture what you see by setting to "P" and pressing the button, but don't expect to be recognized by the cognoscenti until you can explain how a Beyer array is interpolated.

smiling in anticipation

.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,