Re: Book Recommendations

It's not phtographic, but i recomend a book named:

The Art of looking sideways

I learned a lot from it.

On 20/07/07, James Schenken <jds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rene:

Aside from some particulars of digital photography, it is very similar to slide photography.  The dynamic range of digital is much more similar to Ektachrome than to Kodacolor or other color negative films.

So, for a beginner, take a look at any of John Hedgecoe's books on photography.  He walks you through all the steps from exposure to composition to various lighting situations in a readable and understandable style.  If money is a concern, then just get one of his published 4-5 years ago as the fundamentals are not different.

After getting past the fundamentals, then is the time to start looking a digital specific texts - and there are many out there.

For your commentary purposes, I recommend going to the LensWork web site and listening to some of the audio commentary posted there.
In particular, listen to:

For the regular podcasts go to:  http://www.lenswork.com/lensworkpodcast1-3.htm
What Makes a Good Fine Art Photograph?
Internet Photography Docent - Where Art Thou?

For this one got to:  http://www.lenswork.com/lensworkpodcast2-1.htm
LVH-B - A Few Comments About the Comments

The LensWork site is: http://www.lenswork.com/

If you don't have the particular copy of the magazine, the other Visions podcasts will be somewhat limited in usefulness but will give you a good sense of what Brooks Jensen says about individual photographs.  In that way you may be able to expand you thinking on the difference between 'criticism' and 'commentary'.

The current and archived Visions podcasts are at: http://www.lenswork.com/

I agree with Brooks, criticism is not really very valuable, but commentary can be very helpful in conveying what the viewer saw when compared with what you intended.  Did you communicate what you meant to or was there some other message they saw and you missed?

Cheers,

James