A more outrageous question

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
from Howard

> Some of the most exciting and amazing photos are taken by kids with
> cameras. But they don't know about composition or rules as stated by
> some writers!

precisely :)

I am not a believer in such 'rules'. I've seen too many good images that abide by no rules.

Aesthetics are different in different cultures, how can one 'rule' be adhered to when it conflicts with another 'rule' from elsewhere?

Just because the kids didn't know the rules, doesn't mean they didn't follow them.  The rules often became the rules for one reason.  They work for most situations.  That does not mean that going your own way from time to time isn't going to also produce an image that works.  The percentage of images that work is going to be higher within the rules, than those that are not.

Culture would have an impact on what is considered beautiful and thus what would be worthy of a photo or painting.  What one culture may consider a beautiful woman, another may not.  Yet artists for thousands of years of all nations and cultures have used those same rules to produce images of what that culture deems important.  I don't necessarily consider them as much rules as a part of human nature and how it reacts.