Re: Hurricane Gonu in Oman

The Hurricane has come and gone and it has left a lot of wreckage in its wake. We live on fairly high ground and so we got away with flooding of a couple of rooms. My daughter's room was about an inch deep in water last night before she went to bed. All her toys were soaked and we emptied her room and we mopped and mopped and eventually soaked up the water.

Others were less lucky. I was out this evening and shot some video which is rendering as I write this. I'll post a link when I have a URL.

My freind's house was under 6 feet of water. He was evacuated with his wife and a three month old baby last night. His car was washed away and everything in his house is ruined. But the police, army and emergency workers here were on top of it. When you think about the terrain: mountainous and desert.... Not set up for rain atall. I think the death toll was 12. When I drive around and see the collapsed highways, the cars under water etc., I think it's amazing that there weren't more deaths.

 On a good day you still need a 4-wheel-drive vehicle to get most places and when it rains everything turns to thick, slippery mud.

The college studios are under a couple of inches of water but we took all equipment out so we're OK.

I thank God that we are all safe.

Pics and footage to follow.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,