Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:05 AM
Subject: Re: Vey quiet lately

----- Original Message -----

Do the rest of you have any plans for the summer?

Marilyn
I'll be in France for five weeks, leaving late June.  See some relatives and friends.  Tke lots of pictures.

Prior to going, I'll be working on another giant pinhole project.  This time, I'll be shooting what is essentially the last "Hot" building in the almost defunct Red Light district of Montreal.  The building will be torn down to make room for another large building that will be housing - among others - the new international photography center.

I'll be working from across the street, in a corner room of what is now a respectable hotel but used to be a "by the hour" place.  The final image will be a tryptic - each part consisting of two panels (4 feet by 8 feet) of a paper negative image (Ilford Warmtone DW Glossy).  Hence there will six panels altogether and after cropping, the total width will be 18 feet.

Because the room points to the South East, I have to wait for the afternoon to start expsosure.  Each group of two panels requires about 3 hours of exposure (of which two are spent dodging the central area to allow appropriate exposure in the extremities).  Therefore I can only expose two groups of two panels before the light becomes insufficient.  Processing, washing, toning, etc. requires about 1 hour per panel and  my day will end somewhere around midnight.

Since I plan to create 3 of these tryptics, and factoring in the time to set up the room, make tests and undo the room, I count a full week of work for me and 2-3 assistants.

Do I get paid?  Not until I have found somebody with a big checkbook to buy one of the tryptics.  Will I want to do more?  Of course...  Its really fun...

Guy