Re: Nikon Proud?

just solidifies the idea I grew up with
you can borrow your wife, not your Nikon!

On 4/25/07, Bob <w8imo@xxxxxxxx > wrote:
Darin Heinz wrote:

> OK.
>
> For a while now, I've seen used Nikon D1 bodies (first generation on
> up) sold at eBay for, on the average, about $300 US. On places like
> KEH.com, moderately battered ones go for even more. It is an older
> SLR, and boasts a whopping 2.65 megapixels.
>
> Any idea why even "paperweight-condition" cameras are fetching high
> prices? Like the time I tried to illustrate "nothingness", I'm drawing
> a blank.
>
> (by the way, is "paperweight" an obsolete term yet?)
>
> Darin Heinz
> See my photographs online at http://www.photo.net/photos/DarinHeinz/

One thought is that when new they cost many many $$$$$ and the owners
are unable to accept the fact that the new devices are better featured
and cost much less.   I see this at 'hamfests' where people try to sell
old ham gear for a price close to what the new better featured gear costs.

Then there are some that didn't buy a Nikon, but  a "NIKON".  I used to
work in a camera shop and we sold a lot of Nikon jewelry.  Not diamonds
and gold but Nikon cameras.......   Nikon has always been very good for
the most part and a lot of people bought it because it was NIKON without
knowing what it was or what it did or how to use it.  They had an
expensive  P&S !

I think the term is epaperweight now......  A virtual device at extra
cost from MS.....

Bob

--

                           /////