Re: I am a liar and a fraud. I have shot for advertising

I have been reading this thread with much interest and feel I must put in my two cents.  I, too, have shot much advertising and have lied.  However, I think we have to remember that what we are speaking of is photojournalism.  What I do is NOT photojournalism.  Ultimately, I believe we need to consider the expectation of the photo:  Is the image trying to convey a product, looking its best so that sales will occur, or is it trying to convey a news event.  I don't know about you, but I expect my cheeseburger to look nothing like the photo on the menu board, and I am OK with that.  But, I also expect that images I see associated with reporting of news and other events to be truthful and accurate, without manipulation of content.  If it is otherwise, I am not OK with that.

I respect and admire photojournalists more than perhaps just about anyone because they put themselves often in difficult and perilous situations, yet come away with stunning and emotive images that communicate REAL events.  Of course, these go through the filter of the shooter, the editor, the publisher before they reach me.  If they did not, all shooters would be providing the same images.  We look for point of view and storytelling abilities, and that is what makes some photographers so special.  But, to learn that content may be altered in a photo that I am expecting to REPRESENT reality shakes my faith and respect for that shooter, but not PJ as a whole.

We must remember the distinctions among the different disciplines of photography.  If a working or aspiring photojournalist needs to digitally manipulate the content of his images to tell his story, he is not properly doing his job.  He/she should pursue a career in advertising or editorial photography, which, as we should all know, is a different animal.