Re: [SPAM] Re: Truth in Phoyo Journalism (?)

Greg Stempel wrote:

The whole point of messing with an image is to make it tell the story better.<<<<< WRONG! Altering an image, diverting from the actual event captured on film or censor is nothing more than someone's interpretation or intention. People dilute. They will dilute the truth, actions or interpretations of almost anything to further their own gains. It is that simple. Lots of you will argue that truth is up for grabs, that your lifestyle sees colors differently than mine. Wrong. Truth is truth. It's your lack of discipline or ethics that are really to blame. A selfish need to have more and we can't be satisfied until we have added our own flavor. Just because you don't see any harm in enhancing a scene, appearing innocent enough, doesn't mean you haven't played with or diluted the truth.
Greg, as much as I value your viewpoint and intelligence, I have to say the above is just dead wrong in itself. There are few, if any, absolute truths. If any exist, they have nothing to do with perception or interpretation or "reality". Remember "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."? It should be more like everything related to interpretation of events is in the eye of the beholder. I want to throw a quote in here, which deals with memory which is just the prelude to present. It works as well for the now as the then.

What we, or at any rate what I, refer to confidently as memory - meaning a moment, a scene, a fact that has been subjected to a fixative and thereby rescued from oblivion - is really a form of storytelling that goes on continually in the mind and often changes with the telling. Too many conflicting emotional interests are involved for life ever to be wholly acceptable, and possibly it is the work of the storyteller to rearrange things so that they conform to this end. In any case, in talking about the past we lie with every breath we draw. - William Maxwell, So Long, See You Tomorrow

As much as I would like to believe that there is one objective, unalterable truth or or one unassailable version of history, it is not possible. Descartes argues that such a simple thing as a chair would be perceived differently by different people. We may see that as sophomoric but it is likely the case. And if a simple object can be perceived in different manners, consider the complications of multiple objects and differing ideologies and varied cultures. Reality is what we make it. History, current events and future prognostications are all strained though the individual and peculiar matrix of our minds. What emerges from mine is not necessarily the same as what emerges from yours.

Please note that I am not endorsing tampering with images or presenting them, warts and all. The presentation of actuality is a complex and mind bending subject. Deciding what is acceptable and what is not is almost incomprehensible to me. I know a vegetarian who will eat lamb just because it tastes so good. My point there? We all have our biases and rationales and all that we experience and think about is subject to our longings, our prejudices, our searching for the Land of Heart's Desire.

I haven't even touched upon the conversion of three dimensional, time stream life into two dimensional frozen moment which presents it's own distortion of "truth". That is the argument going on here and which has been going on for many years. Reword the above quote to read "in photographing the present we lie with every photograph we take". Photography "may" be more objective than an art like painting but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Well, enough ranting and stream of consciousness typing. I assume that you will respond and I look forward to it.

Don