Terrible news - loss an industry leader.

Dear members:

I am shocked as I have just found out about Bruce Fraser's passing this last
Saturday. Bruce had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer several months
ago and still attempted to fight the disease by undergoing chemotherapy but
the disease was in its advanced stages.

Bruce was an industry leader and made great contributions to digital
photography as well as digital imaging in general. I am extremely sad with
this horrible news and although I didn't know him personally, I have lost a
close friend as his books and his teachings have inspired me to become a
better photographer.

Very sad news.

Joseph Chamberlain

The following is the news posted by Adobe's John Nack on his Blog page about
Bruce's passing:

December 17, 2006
In Memoriam: Bruce Fraser
I'm terribly sorry to relay the news that our dear friend Bruce Fraser
passed away yesterday.  His friend Stephen Johnson says that Bruce was
resting in his own bed, surrounded by people that loved him.  It was a very
peaceful passing.  It remains awfully rough for those left behind.

I'm not sure what to say, and I know that others will write better, deeper
remembrances than this one.  Bruce's work touched untold thousands of
people, whether directly through his teaching and writing, or indirectly
through his guidance of Adobe, Epson, and other companies towards better,
smarter solutions.  The outpouring of well wishes in response to news of
Bruce's illness only hints at the reserve of goodwill and gratitude that so
many feel towards him. As one of those many beneficiaries, I can share a few
thoughts.

Many of the merits of Camera Raw owe a debt to Bruce. The move from ACR 2.0
to 3.0 was a huge one, filled with twists, turns, and tradeoffs.  Bruce was
among a handful of folks to whom I could drop a line at nearly any hour,
asking for guidance.  Back would come a deep, thoughtful, often impassioned
reply, making his arguments plain.  We'd often disagree, but that's part of
what made the dialog fun and valuable.  No matter how well Bruce got on
personally with many folks at Adobe, I never had to worry that we'd get a
free pass on anything.  I will always, always be grateful for that.

This whole past product cycle, we've felt Bruce's absence as he battled his
illness. Any number of times I thought of him and wished we could duke it
out about favorite topics--DNG, Camera Raw editing JPEGs, color management
for the Web, and so much more. I write this through a shifting blur of
emotions--anger and sorrow at the loss, sympathy for Bruce's wife and loved
ones, gratitude to have known him, relief that he is now at peace.

A tribute to Bruce's life and work is planned for Macworld, to be held
Macworld on Janurary 10th, 2007.  PhotoshopNews will post more details as
they become available.

Posted by John Nack at 12:04 PM on December 17, 2006