RE: reality check

The fact is that digital formats make it so much easier to keep multiple copies that the responsible thing seems to be to keep the extra versions.  When it's as simple as issuing a copy all command and then going home or to sleep why wouldn't you do it?  You can't duplicate a facility or a negative with anything near that level of ease, so it's really part of a new paradigm.  It's a form of insurance.
Elliot B

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of lea murphy
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:34 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: reality check

I'm just throwing this out there to spark a bit of discussion while I archive some files.

I am dumping 500 gigs of images from hard drive 'a' to hard drive 'b'. Hard drive 'a' will then be erased and used for more files. Hard drive 'b' will be cataloged and stored. These are client files and this will be my only archive of these files.

I used to burn them to dvd but I had two discs fail so gave up that method as a way of archiving.

So my comment is this: I used to think it was absolutely necessary to keep two and sometimes three copies of client files on various hard drives but it occured to me that when I was shooting film I didn't run around making copy negs of those images just to have a backup.

Why do we drive ourselves nuts having multiple copies of digital files?

I know hard drives fail. I also know darkrooms flood and houses burn.

What do you guys think of this? One copy and take our chances...just like in the old days with film.

Lea

lea murphy
www.leamurphy.com
www.whinydogpress.com