Re: Photo archive/index software

Bruce:

Assuming an image size of 50 MB per image ( compressed down to 10 MB if .JPEG format ), then 1 GB will hold 100 images and 1 TB 100,000 images.

That being the case, you data base will be less than 200,000 images in size.

My personal data base of images is about 40,000 images and it is indexed quite nicely by PICASA, a free software package from Google. It does require manual entry of the details you desire in that it does not automatically access the EXIF or the IPTC data attached to images these days.
I assume that Google will respond to that need some time in the near future.

For your size data base, virtually any PC / MAC data management package such as ACCESS, etc will work.

If your images mostly have the EXIF and / or IPTC data already imbedded, then lots of hours will be saved by finding a package that automatically index by those characteristics. I would look carefully at any proposed solution to make sure that such capability is included since even the most expensive package will cost an insignificant amount when compared to the labor hours for manual data entry.

Cheers,
James