Re: Photo archive/index software

On 12/11/06, Bruce Harrison <harrison@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Our University Relations group is looking for photo
indexing/cataloging/storage software/hardware.  I thought I'd query the
wisdom of the collective group.  They shoot Nikon/Canon digital 35mm,
convert camera files to Adobe RAW format and save them.  Also scan the
occasional medium format negatives. They are estimating 1.5 terrabytes
of data now, and would expand to 3 terrabytes.  No actual counts on
images.  They want to, of course, index each image as to
content/date/etc.

Does anyone have recommendations for software to do this?  I can handle
the hardware needed just fine, but need info on software packages.

Well, I haven't pushed Thumbs Plus to anywhere near this number of
photos; but it can be configured to use an external SQL database (the
default is the "Jet" database engine from Microsoft Access, which
works fine for my own much smaller collection), so it shouldn't have
any trouble with big collections.   It handles keywords well I think.

There's probably another tier of products above the one T+ and all the
other ones I hear individual photographers talking about is in, more
intended for stock houses than individual photographers, but I don't
know anything about that.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>