Re: Eaw and sharpening

On 11/3/06, E Berlin <eberlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I haven't seen this entire thread so this may have been mentioned already,
but I'm wondering if sharpening techniques are recommended for pictures
scanned from negatives.  I'm using a Nikon F3 with a variety of Nikon lenses
and a Nikon CoolScan V ED scanner for digital conversion.

In my opinion, yes, definitely; probably even more than digital
original captures.  (I wore out an LS-2000 and now use a Super
Coolscan 5000 ED; nearly entirely on old slides and negatives.)

For that matter, since I'm still pretty new to this process I'm happy to
receive any general advice for maximizing the quality of images scanned
through a dedicated 35mm scanner that is not a flatbed.

Scan to capture information (avoid clipping either end of the scale,
etc.).  Make it look good later in Photoshop.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>