RE: ZIP files

Check out this link. It has lots of interesting information about media
archiving (includes images) programs and companies. Do a find on the page
for zip and you will get to lots of media zipping programs. Very
interesting. They are all rated too.

This one sounds particularly interesting.

RICAZip.com (link to http://www.ricazip.com/) (Windows)
DOES NOT GIVE PRICE. MIGHT MEAN IT IS EXPENSIVE But there are others listed.

RICAZip.com has proprietary lossless image compression technology called
RICA (Reversible Image Compression Algorithm). RICA retains original file
formats (e.g. TIFF, DICOM, BMP, TGA, PGM etc.). RICACom says We have yet to
find any method that provides better compression ratios (for truly
lossless), including wavelet. On a PII 450MHz RICA compresses @ 6MB per
second and decompresses at 12MB per second.

Available as a standalone image archive app, Adobe Photoshop Plugin, Browser
Plugin, and RICA SDK.
DCL reader Karen H. says: Evaluation of this product demonstrates excellent
compression ratios and it is also very fast compared to other methods I have
used.

HTH-Rene Hales
http://www.pbase.com/halesr