Gallery comments 23-09-06

  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

                  Jim Snarski - Nice Catch
A beautiful bird, of a species unknown to me. Is it a juvenile bird? Anyhow, I like the picture, although the void background makes me think of stuffed birds on display against a white wall. But the posture is lively, and the piece of food makes it even better.

                  Laurenz Bobke - Who's that?
Some kind of spider, counting the legs. A good example of how good a small-sensor camera can be for close-ups, with its great depth-of- field. A DSLR would have difficulty in getting the whole pod this sharp.

                  Gregory david Stempel - The Harbor No. 3
Dramatic light, and a lively sky, but the image is too dark on my monitor (supposed to be calibrated). Just noticed that Charles didn´t like that gull; I do. It gives some feeling of serendipity to the whole thing.

                  Herschel Mair - Aria
Absolutely beautiful! She looks happy and unposed, yet the composition looks deliberate, and very good. Very competently executed high-key, too.

                  Lea Murphy - Rachel and Joshie just before bedtime
A nice, drowsy couple. The lighting is possibly just a little harsh for such a subject; would be better suited for a forceful male portrait, but it is very well balanced. And the composition is pleasing.

                  Guy Glorieux - Dark clouds over London
I just said that Gregory´s cloud image was too dark; I feel this one is too light... (I´m grumpy tonight). And I don´t recognize London at all (haven´t been there for several years). Anyhow, I like the almost sci-fi look of the scene. If only it had been somewhat more dramatic.. (Just opened it in PS, made a duplicate layer, and changed its blending mode to "multiply". A step in the right direction; more careful work would have improved things even more).

                  Don Roberts - Kentai Bridge
A beautiful and intriguing piece of construction, indeed! And a good angle to shoot it from, with lots of depth and texture. Good scan from what must be a rather difficult negative.

                  Per Ofverbeck - Jenny´s and Hans´ Wedding

                  Emily L. Ferguson - Fall is coming
Funny, was out shooting lillies-of-the-valley here the other day; they are exactly at this stage here too. My complaint here is that the image is quite a bit too busy for my simple taste: too much included, too many sunspots. I would get down on the ground (well, I did!), and concentrate on just a few of these beautifully wilted leaves, plus one or two stems with the red berries - and some blue sky behind to make the leaves look slightly transparent. But I do have lots of shots like this one myself, from when I wasn´t dressed to crawl on the ground....

                  Trevor Cunningham - glow
Last week a curtain, this one looks like some wallpaper lit by a window with some bird droppings.... Nice texture, expertly exposed, but I find last week´s abstract more intriguing.

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"