Re: Silly question time

Trevor:

Checked luggage with photographic film and / or paper will most certainly be affected by the scanners that work on checked luggage. The x-ray machines for this process have an extremely high power to allow looking at dense objects and they are sometimes rolled back a forth several times before the inspector decides.

For carry-on luggage, hand inspection is the way to go with film. I've not heard of any experiences with packaged photo paper. It is much less sensitive than even the lowest speed film, on the order of ISO 1 or 2 for example. However, the inspectors will have familiarity with roll film but not with packaged paper. I'm guessing that they may require you * your friend ) to open the package so they can see inside. A couple of years ago, a friend here in town went on a photo trip with his 4x5 outfit and came back with many film holders containing exposed but undeveloped film. The inspector made him open both sides of each one before allowing him on the airplane. No amount of explanation sufficed to make the inspector understand what would happen to the film.

You might have your friend drop down to the airport with a sample and inquire about what their procedures might be in that specific case and ask for suggestions about handling photo papers. But I wouldn't have very high hopes of getting it through. After all how different would a slab or something nasty look if it were packaged in a photo paper box and re-sealed carefully?

James