PF exhibit 09 SEP 06 Review

Hi everyone...

OK, lots of AFK stuff going on this week, despite having the glory of full
access restored to my Internet connection. So here I am, giving a belated
review of this week's work. Sincerest apologies for my delay...

Without any further undue hesitation, here is my take.

----- ------- -----
"Willy Lott's Cottage" - Andrew Brooks

I really like this image, Andrew, even before taking into account the back
story. You've incorporated a lot of visually arresting elements: the
detailed clouds, the water, the foliage, and (of course) the cottage.
Exposure looks really good; you've captured a nice wide tonal range, and the
depth of field works for this. Compositionally, I would have preferred to
see less on the left, and more on the right, but that's just me being picky.
Great job!

----- ------- -----
"discontinuity" - Trevor Cunningham

Trevor, the abstract nature of this image has my curiosity piqued, but even
without a positive identification of the subject, I can say that it is well
composed and executed. the serpentine highlight running vertically through
the image is effective in forming a boundary between two starkly contrasting
regions; without it, there would be too much tension, too much contrast, and
quite possibly too much physical pain in the eyes to make this a photo worth
looking at for any significant amount of time. I'm sure if I read some of
the recent messages in the list I'd know what this is, but I prefer to
review with a certain acceptable level of ignorance. Deviating from the
ambiguous subject matter, I will say that I find your use of the soft image
edge rather appealing, and although it generally doesn't work to enhance an
image, this case is an exception. Well done!

----- ------- -----
"High tide/wind" - Emily L. Ferguson

Hi Emily! I can taste the salt water splashing in my face... as experiential
images go, this one is right on target. You did well to select a shutter
speed that would portray this event much like my own eyes do, fast enough to
freeze motion, slow enough to create a blur which hints at the velocity of
moving water as it impacts stationary land. Compositionally it works; even
though the horizon appears to be just slightly off-kilter, it is not enough
of a tilt to be bothersome, and actually may lend itself to the illusion of
motion toward the shoreline, as well as creating a balance with the dune
rising sharply on the left side of the frame. As an aside, I wonder what
this would be like as a segment of a panoramic blown up to 20 inches on the
short side...
 ;-)

----- ------- -----
(untitled) - D.L. Shipman

The low contrast of this image, at first, led me to think briefly that it
could have been a much better shot without the diffused effect. But on
second inspection, I realized that the overall unsharpness gives a sort of
mystique to the vehicle; by eliminating sharp details, the viewer is almost
forced to generate the story behind the image. The choice of color over B/W
also works here, although in most cases I'd opt for the other way around.
The height of the camera's viewpoint also helps, as it provides a sense of
massive size to the machine, but is not so low that the strip of water in
the background is lost. That being said, Dave, I don't think this is your
best work; something seems like it's missing, but I can't figure out what it
is.

----- ------- -----
"Ok, people line up, blue, red, blue, red... " - Alan Zinn

That's pretty serendipitous, Alan. The more I look at this, the more
repetition I find. Obviously the shirts, hence the title. Then there's the
strollers. The circular/elliptical "pukers" in the background. Even the
people in the foreground are walking in step with each other (with the
exception of the child, but then again, since when do kids conform?). On top
of all of that repetition... it's drizzly, and things are reflected in the
ground. This is wonderfully whimsical, and I'm tempted to comment on the
linked photo(s) as well, but I'll hold off, since this is really about the
one photo. Contrast may need a bit more range, but it's tough to do on a day
like that. Other technical aspects look great, and your timing on this one
was magnificent. HCB would be proud...

I thank all of you who participated, whether in submission or response, or
both. This was a good collection this week. Let's keep up the good work!

Yours,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA