Re: memory price roundup

On 8/30/06, karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: How convenient will it be in 15 years to extract the contents of your
: 300GB IDE HDD? (You did say "long term archiving.")

a lot easier than trying to pull data from a 5 year old CD in my experience
;)

Certainly not my experience.  I just re-checked my oldest few CD-Rs,
10+ years, and they're still fine (Kodak Photo CDs, which means
they're on the Kodak gold disks rather than the cheapest thing that
fell off the truck that week).

I haven't yet had a CD I burned successfully go bad later.

(They're also not the only copies I have of that data.)
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>