Re: dynamic range and jpegs

The digital camera captures a 12-bit, black and white image.

It must then be "Processed" (Demosaiced) to become a colour image. A computer adds the colour in, based on a formula (algorithm)
If you shoot RAW, then you use your own computer to do this and you have a choice between an 8-bit or a 16-bit colour image.and you can mess around with the  algorithm
If you shoot JPG, then you use the computer in the camera and you let the camera make the choices and you get an 8-bit image because there's no such thing as a 16-bit JPG.

16-bit is BETTER. It is going to give you better gradation and smoother tonal transitions.from shadows through to high-lights. However  there isn't much you can do with a 16-bit image in terms of output. Somewhere along the line you'll have to convert it back to 8-bit to print it or show it on a computer screen etc.,

But 8-bit/12-bit/16-bit... they're just numbers... Don't get hung up on them. Do the experiment and see for yourself what you prefer.

In my case, after extensive testing, I have come to the conclusion that the best quality is achieved by working in 8-bit all the way through. So I shoot Raw, do as much work as I can in the Raw Converter (12-bit) open the image as an 8-bit and it stays 8-bit from then on.

Herschel

PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:
So what all the talk about 12 bits camera capture being better than 8 bit camera capture mean? Just theoretical talk or is there a situation where it is an advantage to have 12 bits