PhotoForum Gallery 05 Aug 2006

Hi everyone!

I'm back in the swing again, hopefully for good. Many things have happened
with me, some good, some bad, mostly wonderful.

Here's my take on the 5 August 2006 gallery:

   Marty Kerins Jr. - Calm before the storm
Marty, The first impression I got of this image was feeling like I was
there. Not "out in a boat" there, but in more of a "house or other shelter
looking through a window" there. Such is one of the many effects of
panoramic photography; the high ratio of one side's dimension to the other
tends to remove it from becoming a shared experience between the
photographer and viewer. That being said, however, I will say I really like
the composition here, which would be impossible, or at the very least
difficult, to achieve with some other format of photography. All of the
elements merge as strips: the cloud layer engulfs the top third of the
image, the water dominated the bottom third. Clear-ish sky, mountains, and a
point of land all vie for the middle. This clash/tension/all-out war among
the competing elements adds to the feel of the looming and impending storm.
Had you tipped the camera up or down even half a degree, it may easily have
been a lost cause. Exposure looks great, and the only think I would have
wished for would be a lighted buoy or some other small colored element to
add a touch of color to a largely monochromatic pallette (none presented
itself, and I commend you on shooting it as-is); barring that, I would be
interested in seeing this as a b/w image. You did a great job with this one.

   Trevor Cunningham - So, now what?
I like this, Trevor. "So, now what?" does fit the image. I wonder, though,
if he's saying something like "five bucks says he's gonna try to trade the
camera..." In all seriousness, though, I like the way you've caught this
moment which went unnoticed by the vast majority of the world's population.
Three main segments of the photograph: a wall and a window which could be
just about anywhere; people hanging out on a short stone wall; a camel who
appears to be dancing. Crop so only one of these segments is visible, and
you have three very disparate images. Combined, though, they tell a detailed
story. Of particular interest is the interpersonal relationships of the
three people seated. The woman and boy look largely disinterested, but the
man seems to be attempting to engage the boy in conversation, possibly
futilely. Nobody seems to care that the camel, who dominates the frame more
than anyone else, even exists. This photo works for me because it is both
intriguing and amusing. Composition is great, though perhaps cropped too
closely to the woman's foot, and the exposure looks good, despite a slight
lack of detail in the shadows (under the man and on the boy's face). Also,
you timed this shot well, something I myself have a hard time with doing.
Nicely done!

   Guy Glorieux - Memento mori
Guy, I was initially oblivious to the background elements; the figurine
commanded all of my attention. I love the relief details (the pits and
blisters), as they really drive home the feeling of great suffering and
misery, and even of being forgotten. Even the apparently overcast sky lends
itself to this feeling as well, something of an antithesis of sunshine and
happy days; had it been a sparkling sunny day, a great deal of the feeling
would have been lost. I am also looking at other elements of the image which
may have gone somewhat unnoticed, like the ground surrounding the statue. It
is hard and unforgiving. But there are trees, and flourishing life, but they
are isolated from the immediate subject by cold lifeless stone. Whether this
was intentional or not, I cannot say, but I certainly can appreciate it.
Fantastic work here with the technical details; even though the background
is overexposed a bit, I believe it works to promote the image rather than be
a detriment.

   Cathy Morrison-Heinz -
Cathy, my Love, I'm going to try to ignore the blatantly obvious bias here
and discuss this image as objectively as I can. ;-)
I believe you nailed the intensity of the moment wonderfully. The
concentration on the trumpeter's face (OK, OK, yeah, that's me) creates a
scenario in which the photograph can almost be heard. A moment before or
after would have lost some of its tension. Depth of field is good; if I were
the one shooting, I might have shallowed it up a bit, but it still works.
The lighting went a little dark on the jacket, but at the same time, it is a
good rendition of "the musician playing just outside the limelight", so it
really depends on the statement you are trying to convey. Composition was
well-done, just enough string to wrap the package; in the same breath I
might suggest the bell of the trumpet be visible, just to see what it looks
like...
[insert priveleged insight comment here for the PF members] Cathy did a
PhotoShopped version of this which really blows this one away. She punched
up the edge lighting on the sleeves, and added some other highlighting and
color; you'd swear I was in the middle of a concert...

   D.L. Shipman -
Hi, Dave! This image is as foreign to me as is Trevor's! You've got colorful
dancers in a rough circle and a piano player in the background, all of whom
look like they should be on stage; instead they're in some sort of arena, as
out-of-place as a swimsuit calendar in the church vestibule. Unless, of
course, you know the context in which this story unfolds. You did a great
job with the exposure and depth of field. Cropped just a wee bit too closely
for my taste, it effectively portrays action and festivity. It's bold
(bright colors, even a tattoo on the one woman's arm), yet reminiscent
(century-old wardrobe, raw ground underfoot). I imagine this was an
intermission-type setting, and quite possibly forgotten by those who
attended the "outdoor sporting event" that day. A well-done photograph,
indeed!

   Steve Shapiro - Odello Long Barn
Steve, what jumps out at me the most with this panoramic is the
uncharacteristically-likable converging of lines at the ends. Your
composition works really well in providing the essence of the subject (yep,
it's a lo-o-o-o-ong barn!). Inclusion of the farmhouse (?) at the far right
really works well to establish exactly what it is I am looking at. Its
placement and that of the other incidental objects works well, also. Of
particular note is the flowering shrub in the foreground and the timbers to
its left. They are far enough to the left in the image that they do not
distract from the house, and at the same time break up some of the monotony
of the repeating-image quality of the barn. On another note, the overall
image looks a bit tinted to me (not exactly b/w), and upon seeing this, I
have to wonder how it would look, alternatively, in sepia. Finally, I like
the way that you signed the image, fairly small, and out of the way in
otherwise dead space. This adds a touch of authenticity to its presentation,
and would not be beneficial on every photograph in the world, but I believe
it works very well in this case.

To those who submitted work this week, I would like to thank you.

To those who keep the discussions going, thank you for your input.

To those who just sit there viewing work and reading the conversations
without getting involved, I want to say "What gives, huh? Get to it!"

My 1/50 Quid.

I look forward to your replies, and it's good to be back!

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA