Subject: What the world needs now... Was  "future proofing"
From: Herschel Mair <herschelmair@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, May 21, 2006 1:15 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Somewhat off-topic...

All true... maybe a tad pessimistic. BUT.technically on... Just remember. Film is all about the story. The technical quality PALES to insignificance when there's a good story, a well constructed screenplay and a bunch of brilliant shots.

In the old old days, when I was shooting 16mm doccies on a wind-up Bolex. There were guys making fantastic films in super-8, many with synchronised sound....

The best optics and stock will never make a week idea stronger. But a great idea will look good in any medium.

H,

I agree mostly - the original King Kong was - and hell, Balinesian shadow puppets are more engaging than the latest version.  The story is the most important element but production values shouldn't get in the way of the telling.  I don't like to see over OR under-produced stories. As new modes become common the older stuff becomes more a part of the story content.

AZ

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology