Re: Photoshop backgrounds/foregrounds

Hi Shyrell,
In photoshop you should think of yourself as working on sheets of glass stacked one above the other.
The background is the bottom sheet and is limited in what you can do to it. All other sheets are fully editable.
The layers palette represents the sheets of glass that your image components are printed on. The lowest layer  is represented by the bottom block in the layers palette. When you're painting/erasing /stamping or whatever on the top layer it has no effect on the bottom layer and vice versa.

You can make the layers visible by clicking the left-most little square (Eyeball icon) on each layer in the palette.
This does not delete the layer, just switches it off temporarily.
If you make a selection, it applies to the layer you're working in. But you can make a selection in one layer and then switch to another layer and use the same selection.
So if you have a face on a white background on the top layer and flowers on the bottom layer. you can select the background of the face layer and delete it and you'll see the flowers "Through" the top layer.
To get all the palettes back to their default positions go to the Window menu and select "Workspace" and then select "reset palette locations" (If my memory serves me... It's been a while since I worked on PS-6.

I'm not sure that I understand your problem clearly but If you like you can email me your problem images (Low res versions) and I'll help you sort it out.
I am a member of the International Adobe Solutions Network for Adobe Photoshop .

I must also agree with Lea and say that Scott Kelby, Russ Brown and Deke Mclelland have all written very good and accessible books on Photoshop and you should be able to get PS-6 versions cheaply now. Photoshop Classroom-in-a-book is about the best learning tool for beginners who are serious.

email: herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

herschel

lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shyrell,

There are some limitations to what you can do to THE background layer
so sometimes it's easier if you duplicate it by dragging it to the
little paper icon at the bottom of the layers palette. Once you
duplicate it, you can trash the original background layer or just
click on the eyeball to the left of it to turn it off so it can't be
seen.

Once you have several layers, to work on one specific layer you have
to 'activate it' by clicking on it in the layers palette OR by
putting a check in the 'auto select layer' option. This allows your
mouse to activate layers by clicking on them. This is a much faster
way to go than always having to go over to the layers palette.

Scott Kelby has written several GREAT, WONDERFUL, EXCELLENT, SIMPLE
books on Photoshop and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Hope this is of value.
Lea

lea murphy
www.whinydogpress.com