Photoshop backgrounds/foregrounds

snip - Another thing I can't figure out is how to get the new background useable for the clone tool to clean up the lines connecting the two photos. I can clean up the lines on the top layer but can't do anything to the new
background. Hope I haven't said so much it's hard to understand. (Or not
said enough.) - snip

Submitted earlier but no response...

What I'm trying to do is take a piece of one photo out (i.e. - person, animal, flower, etc.) and add it to a different background but be able to work on the new background as well as the foreground. I know how to erase the background of the original photo and copy/paste the subject into the new background. But how do I make the new background changeable (workable - able to be worked on)? If I'm not making sense, ask me some details.

Thanks,

Shyrell

   Melara Photography Studios
   Jonesville, North Carolina