Re: Question about book layout from PF gnome

Bob,

Thanks for the note and the suggestions. I used Word also for previous books but my colleagues here are telling me that I must "upgrade" so I decided to give InDesign a shot. What a headache!! I should have my head examined doing it this way. Although I must admit it has many "printer friendly" features that I don't understand but whcih a printer would feel quite at home with!

On the TOC ... if I had the authors listed by name and page number on which their personal infor appears ... you think that would work? I am thinking 2 columns of 20 with "name 1", "name 2", etc. stacked.

cheers,
andy

Written By wrote:

If you all that are included (or not included) in the imminently published book of member's photographs and personal info could give me an opinion as to a very basic book layout question I'd appreciate it. Should the authors/photographs be organized in alphabetical fashion or is random listing OK? Maybe in order of arrival? A friend of mine opined that if random those that normally come at the end of any queue would really appreciate it>>>

Well, as the author of "Designing Beautiful Books . . ." I spend considerable time wondering about content and organization. In my opinion, you should use a random listing. I am not sure order of arrival means anything. I say mix it up.
That said, you should add a TOC as well as an index so the reader can more easily locate a specific photographer. If you have a good index, you can give the reader the ability to locate information by location and subject.

I am not sure what program you are using to layout the book, but I use Microsoft Word and adding an index or a TOC is child's play. My latest book is all about templates, styles, headers, page and section breaks, ect. If you are using Word, I can help. I seem to recall you are not, however.

Luck to you,

Bob .. Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom