Re: Converting Raw files

2006/4/8, Blair Howard <blairhwrd@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Laurenz:

Yes, what you say about the two programs is essentially true. However, the format in which PSP saves its files is not acceptible to the publishing/advertising industry. Photoshop was not originally designed for photographers, that evolved much later. Photoshop was designed for graphic artists, hence its widly accepted use in both publishing and advertising. PSP does do all you say it does, but the publishers, art directors, and other indusrty artists prefer Photoshop which is the long-accepted standard.
Best,
Blair

Howard,

I'm usually saving my files as *.tif (to avoid loss of information) and *.jpg (for the web etc.), both of which are not proprietary formats.

Actually, I also had no difficulty to save a file in PSP in the Photoshop (*.psd) format and Photoshop Elements immediately recognized it as its own format and opened it without problem.

Laurenz
photos from Wiesbaden, the city where I live: http://www.wiesbaden-photos.com/