Re: Converting Raw files

The trouble with PaintShop Pro is that the industry standard is Photoshop.

Adobe Camera Raw permits batch conversion of RAW files also. I find that feature extremely easy to use.

As it looks to me right now, there are three kinds of uses for image management software:

1. sorting, color correction and preparation for output to publication
2. creative manipulation and repair
3. portfolio management - databasing and searching.

Most shooters are not much interested in option 2 except to repair damage found on scanned film.

A much smaller group is hardly much interested in option 1. They just need to get past that stage so they can get on to option 2 where their entertainment lies.

Many are still hoping for a well-integrated product for option 3

In the future I suspect option 2 will be separated from the other two.

Lightroom is a good example of the approaching maturity of option 1. It permits RAW corrections, sorting, captioning and basic output for print, slideshow, web, thumbnails etc. I haven't tried Aperture but it looks like it's aimed in the same direction.

Once the metadata module in Lightroom is fully realized and we've had a chance to work the beta of that I have a hunch that the beta testers will be on Adobe's case to implement a full-featured module for option 3.

Deep down Photoshop has been loaded up with so many features that I wager it will eventually become the tool of choice for the option 2 crowd, along with Illustrator.

But option 3 is still being worked out - many are using iView, some are using Extensis, some pros are even trying to use iPhoto, PC users have ACDC, iView and Irfanview.

I predict that it will all be sorted out within the next 12 months.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx