Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:16 PM
Subject: book appearance - the text page

Andy and I have been discussing the text page of the projected book.

This started because I created my image page in Photoshop, combining three images of the amaryllis which I particularly liked.

Then I created text that went together with the images, in a font and color I particularly liked for the way it went with the photographs, also in Photoshop. Then I had two pages (one images, one text), both photoshop files. And I sent them off the Andy's book address.

Then some further guidelines were proposed on the list the jist of which were to make the text pages uniform across the entire book, and proposing a font I think is boring and ugly.

So I set my thoughts aside and went on with the captioning and keywording with which I have been fussing for a week now. I even broke out my wretched SCSI scanner and dug out the final 30 negs, got them scanned and spotted, keyworded and captioned.

Having finished that part of the project I came back to the book pages idea and emailed Andy to see what he thought I should be planning for my text page.

So we decided to throw the question open to the list:

Do we want the book to have the text pages all the same, basically, the same font, the same type of information, the same size and space on the page? Or are there members among us who would like the text to be part of their presentation in a more artistic or adventurous or individualistic way?

My idea was to let it go either way - those who wished to create their text pages could do so, and those who wished to let the gnomes take their text and put it into a uniform format could also do so.

Perhaps the unifying text element could be the font rather than the formatting? Perhaps the unifying element could simply be having the images on the recto and the text on the verso?

What do you all think?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx