Looking for Digital Light Box

In the course of projects here at our school (primarially video
production) my boss ends up previewing a lot of digital pics that i
have shot.  Currently we are doing this in Windows XP using the
filmstrip view.  At best, this method is a bit clunky for him to use.
So I am looking for a new digital light box (open source - free
software). I have tried with picasa, but it does not stand up well to
working with thousands of photos, and it is tough to move photos into
separate folders for different video projects.

If you have any good suggestions i would be most appreciative

thanks to all

TIM