Re: Photo contests and copyrights

>Unlimited usage rights is the functionally the same
>as signing over copyright.
Not quite: if you sign over copyright then you lose the right to them

>You compete with Nat'l Geo to license your
>image to other users.
Alright, I guess that is what you meant.
Either way you retain the moral right (to be identified as the author) but not much else.

>Unlimited usage is just that - they can use it any way
>they like as many times as they please.
That's what it says.
Good luck to them.

There a lot of amateurs out there producing VERY good work that will otherwise likely as not never see the light of day. In the(unlikely) event that one image "harvested" by these competitions achieved the sort of exposure that say "Afghan Girl" did then the hitherto unknown photographer would have their 15 minutes of fame and more.

People do generally go in with open eyes ...

Bon