Question regarding an homebuilt focusing schlieren system

Hi there

I'm currently planning to set up a focusing schlieren system as a
project at my school.

I'm using the technique andrew davidhazy describes on his website:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-schlieren-focus.html

My question is: Will this setup work with my Canon EOS / FD lenses ?

What I have is :
50mm f/1.4 FD by Canon
50mm f/1.8 EOS by Canon
100mm f/3.5 by Vivitar
100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 by Canon

Andrew says on his site: "It is desirable to use a large aperture,
relatively long focal length lens for the imaging lens. Some surplus
copier lenses can be applied for this purpose. "

So I guess my 50mm lenses will not do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any answers
Frímann Kjerúlf