Re: new orleans trip - very curmudgeonly review

Well, that was interesting.  But very confusing.

I think it really needed the big Ws answered, not only on the text pages but also by the photographs. There was too much of the letters home about it to work as a publication, to me.

Who, what, where, when, and the most important one - Why.  And then How.

Who were these people? What were they doing? Why were they doing it? Why did they choose to do it there? What did they think about their project? Why did they choose the shots they got? What was the context for their shots? Was there an ethical motivation for choosing this place to do this project? How did the photographers feel about the people they coaxed to pose? What did the photographers think they might be bringing to their models and their models' lives?

And why should we care about the people doing the project? Are they important to us or just to themselves?

Also, the slide shows are interesting, but it would be nice to have them also in the standard viewer-controlled format. And I think there's something wrong with the slide showing software. Every picture I saw had a small black area at the bottom that was a reflection of the lower 1/6th of the photograph, and the strip with the thumbnails vanished if the mouse wasn't resting up where the strip apparently was.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx