Re: off-site storage

>A second, or third, hard drive doesn't have to be in the same room, or
>building.  There are a lot af External USB 2.0 hard drives showing up in

Of course they don't have to be in the same building ... the question is
a human one though - how often are they kept elsewhere?  I'm all in favour
of them but for really crucial data any manual system is likely to get neglected.
 Despite comparatively huge off-site costs such backups can be automated
(potentially never risking more than the last few minutes /  hours worth
of data.

>ads and the prices keep getting more and more attractive.  And, there
>are kits to turn any IDE hard drive into an externa USB 2.0 hard drive.
I've got just such a thing - less than 20-dollars.  If kept off-site though
I'd have the fag of going to collect it, back-up, take it back ... not impossible
but ...

And are my normal HDDs shock-proof (eg if I drop the bag?)

>If the images are important enough and you have a safe deposit box at
>the local bank, an externa hard drive can be stored there......
That's certainly a possiblity.
I'm too bone idle to google this one ... do HDDs "go off" if just allowed
to sit there?  Say for 3 years unused ...

Just wondering.

Nope, I think we need some kind of digitally encoded print ... which can
be easily scanned back to a binary format.

Bob

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!