Re: Matte or Glossy, Border or No Border?

Taking the question more serious: We found at the lab where I worked small portraits that will be touched, handled with ungloved fingers are better off on matt finish; but for reproduction it's usually glossy.

S.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: Matte or Glossy, Border or No Border?

Connie Blum Sadowski <csadowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Matte or Glossy, Border or No border for portraits?

Well, I'm a heretic -- I nearly always prefer glossy for photos.
Plain matte is okay in an emergency, but very very rarely my preferred
finish.  I guess it's better for portraits than for most things -- you
don't mostly need the extra brightness range so much in a portrait.

For archival purposes, borders of at least half an inch are highly
recommended.