Re: Canon 70-300 DO lens

I have an "EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 IS" lens that I bought in Summer 1997. I've been pleased with it and still use it. It's not an "L" lens. It survived a fall onto a steel deck on a boat on Prince William Sound in September '97. I haven't dropped it since, and except for the dented threads on its protective filter, it seems to work fine, including accurate automatic focus. The IS feature has been a life saver for me in a lot of circumstances.

But, I don't know if it's the same lens you asked about. My biggest issue with the lens that I have is that it self-extends when it's hanging on the camera. I think that there are more recent Canon lenses (perhaps L and IS) that perform better than mine does (but at greater cost!).

I think I paid about $700 for my new lens in '97. They should be available on eBay for a lot less than that today.

Of course, if you want to buy my "proven" lens, and will pay enough for it, I'd be happy to continue the conversation off-line! Understand, however, that I'm rank amateur and can easily be taken advantage of.

Roger

Roger Eichhorn
eichhorn@xxxxxx