Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

Bob Maxey <written_by@xxxxxxx> writes:

> > photographer does with his images, as a general thing.  (Specific
> > situations like carefully recreating an image of yours, yes, I do
> > believe in copyright :-)).  Any more than he has the power to control
> > what you do with yours. >>>
> >
> > Recreating a photographer's image has nothing to do with copyright
> > laws. IT does not violate copyright law. Just bad form and a lack of
> > creativity, perhaps. The law does not apply.

> deliberately creates a photo just like yours, it does.  This is
> getting into a fairly obscure corner of copyright law, so I'm not
> surprised you don't know it, but I wish you'd be a little less certain
> with your misinformation.
>
> There's some discussion of this issue in FEIST PUBLICATIONS,
> INC. v. RURAL TELEPHONE SERVICE CO., 499 U.S. 340 (1991) (on the web
> at <http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/499_US_340.htm>).  And
> I believe it's covered in _Photography and the Law_, because I think
> that's where I first learned about it.>>>
>
> The case you cited has nothing to do with my contentions. Please, by
> all means, cite a case in which a court ruled that I cannot
> duplicate another photographer's scene. Also, do not forget how the
> appeals court ruled (if they did) if the decision was fought. Also,
> think of the repercussions.

II A 10 is directly to the point, I think.  If you believe it was
overturned on appeal, by all means look it up and let us know.

> You said this: "If it's *independent* creating, then the law doesn't
> apply.  But if he deliberately creates a photo just like yours, it
> does." Let me ask you how a court would be able to judge if the
> photographer decided to deliberately recreate an image or he/she
> just got lucky. Again, think of the repercussions. No longer would
> you, me, or others be able to take a photo of a famous scene. You
> might think the rules would not apply to you or the typical
> photographer, but eventually, the law could be used in ways you
> might not like.

Now you're off in the land of theory.  Courts decide this sort of
thing all the time; lots of law depends on the state of mind of the
person who committed an act, and generally on "intention".

> Finally, the case you cited does not cover obscure parts of the
> copyright law; it appears to argue a very basic rule of copyright
> law and asks the question: can facts be protected? As for me being
> little less certain with my misinformation, I always invite the
> reader to prove me wrong.

Yes, instead of trying to prove your assertion yourself.  I've done my
share of research; if you think there's any evidence (as opposed to
theoretical arguments) for your position, by all means show us some.