Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

It's a tricky one. Nobody (on this list, anyway) likes the idea of the artist starving in their garret. But how to get started? A _limited_ number of gifts to those who may end up as a patron [1], may very well get over the initial bootstrap stage. If

If the price of the work goes through the roof, well that's good for everyone who holds existing work -- _if_ they want to sell it. But it's better for the artist, because they then sell for a greatly increased return.

I see the real trap in heavily discounting. If it gets out, then everyone sees the value as heavily discounted. So either sell at full price (at the time), or give just a handful (in total) of works away, to create interest.

Artists doing swaps is a long-standing tradition. I think that will not change in the near future.

The cashed up person with the most expensive top-of-the-line equipment, won't necessarily create better images than the photographer with a point and shoot. People pay for the intangibles like composition, lighting, and craft. That's where the photographer earns their keep.

[1] I see a patron in this era, as being a person who regularly purchases the work of artists.

&i (:

--
No virus detected in this outgoing message.