Re: Would you give away a print to a prospective client?

I understand that this list is chock full of teachers but some of you really need to learn how to conduct business first, and art second. I love the folk on this list and have been here for quite a while and will help anyone who asks but please make sure you always put profit and self interest above your art. The world is not likely to beat a path to your doorstep and pay you just to shoot art. You have to charge for it. That is the one thing that I wish Adams, and the others from his time had bothered to father books on.

Les

Most of us are in direct opposition to what you suggest. And, Ansel did write about this a lot. Adams gave away lots of prints. He offered deals, took time payments and even traded with young no-name photographers straight one for one.

His business manager went bonkers on some very few occasions, but the acts of kindness neaver failed to fulfill with greater abundence.

My advice is based on the secret desire to give a print of mine to every person in the world. Yes. Give.

That being said, sure Kostas, give the print to the person with a gesture of appreciation for having used that car. With the gift, invite them to the show. IF they come to the show, they will then see there are more to be bought and fill the series. You can never lose by extending an act of kindness.

In fact, just this year I sent on approval to a collector some work and invited them to keep one inparticular that I'd included as a gift in thanks for taking time to look at my photography on approval. Now, I'm part of an important collection. Did I sell one? Not telling, because it becomes anscilary to the art NOT primary.

I have work in national museums that were juried in, no matter if they all were patronized (got me paid) or donated (got my tax exemption raised higher) they're in an archive and make me a footnote to sustain the passion and provide those who want to buy my pictures with additional pride and incentive.

No argument . . . give.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA