Lens for macro bellows

I read recently that certain lenses work better on a macro bellows than other lenses. By 'better' I presume they mean sharpness and perhaps longer DOF. I read somewhere that reversing a Tessar formula lens is a good idea. I have also heard that enlarger lenses make good bellows lenses.

Now always one for a tight budget, I want to be frugal and I don't care how the end result looks as long as the images are clear. If an enlarger lens is good (or even if it's not), would a photocopier lens be good? How about a projector, microscope or telescope lens? Would using a lens designed for a 5x7 camera on a 35mm camera be of any benefit in macro work?

I've got several types of old (approx 100 years old) large format lenses I plan to try and some medium format lenses but I like to know why they might work or not work and experimentation won't tell me that.

Greg