Canon EOS1Ds Mk II, GPs data and EXIF data

Dear colleagues:

A couple of questions I was hoping you would be able to help me with.

1. I remember a discussion at one of the newsgroups about the possibility to
connect a portable GPS unit to a Nikon D2X so that the GPS information would
be embedded in every image. Is there such an option for making the same work
on a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II ? Is there a way to connect a portable GPS unit
to the camera and capture GPS data ?

2. I've tried to view the metadata of image files created by my camera but
have had no success. I had originally tried to use a regular text editor but
was seeing anything intelligible. After speaking with someone who has more
experience I was told that I should try a hex editor instead since the image
is all stored in hexadecimal format. Do any of you know of a good
hexadecimal editor or reader for Mac OS X that would be able to read the hex
information contained in raw files and allow me access to it ? In case you
know of other software outside of hex editors that will do the same I would
appreciate the suggestion.

Any information and suggestions on software as well as hardware will be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Joseph