Re: Depth of Field and Depth of focus

Website remains confusing, primarily because a vague term is defined by vague terms or phrases:

"The depth of field, Dob  is the range of distance [vague] along the optical axis [vague] in which the specimen [vague] can move without the image [image of the specimen? what is the specimen?] apppearing to lose sharpness. This [the specimen or the term 'depth of field'?] obviously depends on the resolution of the microscope."

I'm sure I'm missing something by my failure to completely comprehend the difference between depth of field and depth of focus, but several introductions to photography just use the phrase "depth of field", even though it could mean "depth of focus". I've tried to simply the problem by using the phrase "the space where everything is visually sharp" when I talk with layment. But, of course, I'm sure many technicians would object and would ask me, "You mean depth of field or depth of focus?"

 howard <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Reference this - found by Googling

http://www.matter.org.uk/tem/depth_of_field.htm

seems to confirm my comment.