Re: Old Film

"William B. Ellis" <wb9cac@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I found several rolls of HP5 in my darkroom that I think are 10 to 15
> years old. The film has been exposed. What would the list suggest for
> development times. I use D-76, but will use others if they would make
> this task easier..

There tends to be loss of filmspeed, and increase of base fog.  A
rather mild push (much less than a full stop) often helps older films
like this.  Also possibly some additional anti-fog additive -- if
you're familiar with how it interacts with your developer in general.

Depending on the importance of the films (sounds like you have no
idea, which means low in general), you could do "clip tests" to
determine optimum development at the cost of completely ruining some
frames.  In the darkroom, clip off a couple frames from the film and
develop just them, examine to see how they look, repeat if needed,
until you determine how to process the remaining part of the roll.  Of
course you can get fooled by badly-exposed frames that you happen to
test, too.  I'd say not worth playing with in this case.